EXHIBITIONS AT THE USA PAVILION
OF THE VENICE BIENNALE
11th International Architecture Exhibition
September 14 - November 23, 2008
Into The Open: Positioning Practice
William Menking Commissionerr
William Menking, Aaron Levy, Andrew Sturm, Curators
Supported by the US Department of State, in collaboraiton with Parc Foundation and Slought Foundation
The U.S. Pavilion at the Venice Biennale is a Palladian-style structure built in 1930 by the then well-known architects William Adams Delano and Chester Holmes Aldrich. Within the Castello Gardens that house all the national pavilions of the Venice Biennale, the U.S. Pavilion enjoys a prominent position.
In 1986, the Solomon R Guggenheim Foundation purchased the US Pavilion from the Museum of Modern Art, New York with funds provided by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection Advisory Board. Since 1985 the Peggy Guggenheim Collection has worked with the United States Information Agency (USIA), the US Department of State and the Fund for Artists at International Festivals and Exhibitions in the organization of the visual arts exhibitions at the U.S. pavilion, while the Solomon R Guggenheim Foundation has organized the comparable shows at the Architecture Biennales. In 2002, the US Pavilion at the Architecture Biennale was promoted for the first time by the US Department of State.